With a forward-looking perspective, let's examine some key software development trends of 2023.
What are Software Development Trends in 2023 ?
- The growth of AI in software development
- The increasing popularity of DevOps and its impact on software development
- The rise of blockchain technology
- Growing need for outsourcing
- The rise of low-code and no-code development platforms will continue
The growth of AI in software development
AI is reforming almost every industry, including the banking sector. Experts suggest that AI could add up to $1 trillion of value annually in financial services alone by
- enhancing efficiency and
- reducing errors.
In terms of healthcare, an overwhelming 90% of hospitals surveyed say they have a concrete AI strategy. It shows how swiftly these tech advancements are taking over this important human service area too.
The growth of AI is predicted to continue, with the global market estimated to reach $500 billion by 2024.
AI is increasingly commonplace in software development as a tool for predictive maintenance and automating processes like rapid prototyping and debugging. Developers are finding ways to utilize AI in their everyday workflows due to its capability to
- analyze large data sets and
- create programs from them.
With the advancement of technology and the growth in the need for technology, the field of application of AI is also expanding. As AI is widely used in almost every industry, it is likely that in the near future, artificial intelligence studies will focus on self-testing software.
The increasing popularity of DevOps and its impact on software development
As a hybrid model of software engineering, DevOps blends the roles of both software developers and operations engineers. Its main focus is on agility, which results in an improved collaboration between different departments and faster product releases. Since its emergence, DevOps has been a major boon for software development teams. They now find that they can spend less time on mundane tasks.
As a result of its help in improving software delivery speed and quality, DevOps has grown in popularity over the past few years. DevOps will become even more mainstream over the next few years as businesses increasingly adopt agile development methodologies.
In 2023, companies wanting to improve development speed, reduce costs, and increase efficiency will implement DevOps into their development lifecycles to a greater degree than ever before.
Check out the pricing of the low-code platform, Kuika to get started for fast development.
Here are a few examples of the growing DevOps trends in software development:
- Serverless computing: This means that you can write, run and deploy code without having to worry about setting up or maintaining a physical server. It allows developers to focus on coding rather than more mundane tasks. With serverless computing, it's all managed by cloud providers giving you one less thing to take care of.
- GitOps: For teams looking to streamline efficiency and reduce manual labor, the use of GitOps is becoming increasingly popular. The use of git source of truth for infrastructure definitions allows organizations to automate complex processes such as continuous delivery and application deployment. Thus, they can simplify operations while improving service reliability.
- DevSecOps: This year, the importance of DevSecOps is set to skyrocket. Organizations can reduce cyberattacks and strengthen their defenses against potential threats by integrating security into all stages of software development.
The rise of blockchain technology
Blockchain technology is a groundbreaking innovation that brings numerous advantages to the table. Immutability, decentralization, and end-to-end data encryption all work together to create an incredibly secure transaction process with unparalleled transparency.
Consequently, this will lead software development into uncharted territory with countless possibilities for growth - blockchain won't be just for Bitcoin anymore.
Blockchain-oriented software (BOS) is innovating data security. It is practically impossible to access or alter data without permission thanks to
- robust transaction recording,
- public key cryptography, and
- decentralized replication.
This makes BOS an attractive option in industries where safety from hacking and theft is paramount.
Thanks to the unbreakable encryption protecting blockchain technology's immutability, trustworthy transactions can be tracked between all participants.
Companies around the world are recognizing blockchain's potential to revolutionize software development. Deloitte survey results indicate that more than half of organizations surveyed view it as one of their most important strategic priorities for 2020 and beyond.
Growing need for outsourcing
Companies around the globe have become increasingly reliant on digital transformation to accelerate their operations and streamline processes. Executives are embracing new technologies, but the talent shortage presents a major challenge.
A Gartner report from 2021 says 64% of executives cite talent shortage as the most significant obstacle to adoption. With no end in sight for this shortage of personnel, outsourcing is becoming an increasingly attractive option.
Statista predicts that by 2027, global revenue from software development outsourcing will hit $145.7 billion. With these software development trends continuing into 2023 it appears clear that businesses seeking stability should consider outsourced technology solutions as part of their strategic plans moving forward.
Sign up for Kuika today, and build your app without the need for a software team.
The rise of low-code and no-code development platforms will continue
Software development is often a complex process, with costly expenses and perilous problems that can arise. To solve this challenge, the industry turns to low-code/no-code solutions. They allow users of all technical backgrounds to streamline their software creation journey. These platforms equip developers with ready-to-use templates in visual interfaces or shortcuts to quicken their workflow.
Enterprises that have deployed low-code development platforms have seen a 100% return on investment.
This technology offers enterprises unprecedented speed and agility when it comes to developing digital solutions for their customers and workforce. It is estimated that in 2023, more than half of large organizations will use low-code platforms to support critical business operations.
If you want to know more, check out What Is Low Code Development and Why Is It Important? for more information.
- AI is already used in various aspects of software development, and in 2023 it will be a crucial part of software development.
- In the coming years, DevOps will become even more mainstream in the development lifecycles.
- Blockchain technology is altering software development due to its unbreakable encryption and immutability.
- Companies are increasingly reliant on digital transformation to accelerate their operations, but the talent shortage presents a major challenge. As a result of a talent shortage, outsourcing is becoming a popular option.
- Low-code/no-code solutions allow users of all technical backgrounds to streamline their software creation journey. And it is estimated that in 2023, more than half of large organizations will use these platforms.
The future of software development is an ever-evolving landscape, offering new opportunities for developers and businesses alike. Staying ahead of the curve in this highly competitive field requires diligence and a keen awareness of current trends - but it's worth the effort.
Check out Kuika today to learn more about what they do and how they can help you stay ahead of the competition.